Call for Curators based in Central and Eastern Europe for a short residency in London
Delfina Foundation in partnership with Kunsthalle Praha is delighted to announce an open call for a curator based in Central and Eastern Europe (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine).
The three-week residency will take place during winter 2021 (22 February – 12 March 2021).
Application deadline: 17:00 GMT, Tuesday, 1 September 2020
Delfina Foundation is dedicated to facilitating artistic exchange and developing creative practice through residencies, partnerships and public programming. More information on Delfina’s previous programmes can be found here.
In partnership with Kunsthalle Praha, Delfina Foundation is offering a three-week residency to a curator from Central and Eastern Europe in winter 2021 (22 February – 12 March 2021). This period coincides with a residency of a selected Czech curator, also supported by Kunsthalle Praha.
Delfina’s residency programme supports artists, curators and thinkers to collectively explore specific themes or to independently engage in open research. For the last six years, Delfina’s programmes have been particularly focused on five thematic areas:
- The Politics of Food – on the production, consumption and distribution of food as well as food as a medium and metaphor to expose wider social and cultural concerns.
- Performance as Process – on performance, from daily rituals to live art, as a way of processing the world around us.
- science_technology_society – at the intersection between art, science and technology and create solutions through interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Collecting as Practice – on the politics, psychology and philosophy of collecting and the role of collectors and artists in relation collections and archives.
- The Public Domain – on the notion of public space, both in the physical and digital sense.
While we are keen to support independent research and experimentation, we strongly welcome applications that relate to one of our five thematic areas, especially science_technology_society.
The Residency Programme of Activities includes:
- Guided visits to museums, galleries, non-profit spaces, artist-run spaces and studios, as well as trips to organisations outside of London.
- Opportunities to engage with artists, curators, academics and researchers through organised studio visits, events and meals.
- Professional development activities including:
- Peer-to-peer presentations and crits
- Portfolio reviews with external curators
- Mentoring activities with UK based practitioners.
The selected Curator will receive:
- A three-week residency in London, including one return, economy-class flight, and a living allowance for food/per diems and materials;
- A single bedroom at Delfina Foundation, which is a shared house with some shared facilities, such as the laundry room, kitchen, and dining room;
- Opportunities to engage in the art scene in UK through structured and independent time and activities; and
- Access to a programme of planned group activities and visits to cultural organisations in the UK.
- The recipient must be a citizen, or long-term resident, living and working in one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine;
- Seeking an opportunity to develop their curatorial practice;
- Able to explain how the experience of an international residency may benefit their career development and local networks; and
- Proficient in English.