Today is the last day to register in person!
Malgorzata Ludwisiak, Chief Curator, Department of Modern Art National Museum in Gdansk and CIMAM Board Member, invites you to join the upcoming CIMAM Annual Conference. Today is the last day to register in person!
- Buy your ticket (in-person and online)
- 12 Invited Speakers
- Conference Program
- Registration Form
- Exhibitions in Poland. Fall 2021
In-person registration closes on 7 October 2021.
Online registration closes on 4 November 2021.
Under Pressure. Museums in Times of Xenophobia and Climate Emergency
Day 1: Conflicts, Crises, and the Politics of Growth
Day 2: Museums as Spaces for Recognizing Differences
Day 3: New Perspectives on Climate and Commonality
While the pandemic appears to be the most pressing challenge today, it is merely a vector of more global political and environmental changes. The conference will address the roles of artists and museums in this dramatically changing global situation. How can artists be agents of change, and museums be places to test proposals for the communities of the future? Can museums guide processes of political and/or technological solutions?
During the three days of discussions, the conference will focus on the two interconnected current crises of Xenophobia and Climate Change, and the sometimes hidden or unexplored connections between the two.
Keynote speakers and relevant case-study presentations will show how institutions, artists, and thinkers working together can provide practical laboratories concerning these emerging issues and offer methodological tools to combat discriminatory and nationalistic tendencies in an increasingly divisive and divided world.
Attendees will visit Muzeum Sztuki Łódź and the exhibitions: “The Avant-garde Museum”, “Errorism. Agnieszka Kurant”, “The Earth is Flat Again”, “Leopold Buczkowski: Glimpses of History, Fleeting Images” and “Atlas of Modernity. The 20th and 21st Century Art Collection” – new edition. And "Helena Bohle-Szacka. Penetration" at Centralne Muzeum Włókiennictwa, Lodz.
This CIMAM Annual Conference has been thought and organized by members of the Board of CIMAM and both hosting museums:
From the CIMAM Board:
- Malgorzata Ludwisiak (Chair), Chief Curator, Department of Modern Art National Museum in Gdansk.
- Saskia Bos Independent Curator and Critic, Amsterdam.
- Victoria Noorthoorn, Director, Museo de Arte Moderno de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires.
- Agustín Pérez-Rubio, Independent Curator
- Eugene Tan, Director, National Gallery Singapore, and The Singapore Art Museum, Singapore.
From the hosting museums in Lodz and Gdansk:
- Daniel Muzyczuk, Head of Modern Art Department, Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz.
- Jaroslaw Suchan, Director, Muzeum Sztuki in Lodz, Lodz.
- Aneta Szylak, Curator, NOMUS New Art Museum/ Branch of the National Museum, Gdansk.